Talking about some #TKBMovie fan responses

May 14, 2018
In this post, I talk about a few of the overwhelming fan responses since The Kissing booth came to Netflix last Friday!

As you guys probably know, The Kissing Booth came out on Netflix on Friday!

The movie is based on my original novel that start out on Wattpad back in 2011 and was published in 2012 by Penguin Random House - you can read more about how I got published here, or find the book on Amazon here.

Aaaaaall the messages

The response has been completely overwhelming! I've been getting hundreds of messages on Wattpad, hundreds of comments on Instagram, and countless Tweets about it! I've also been having a little stalk of Tweets mentioning 'The Kissing Booth', and it's been so much fun, if impossible to read them all. 

I've been doing my best to read everything that's been sent to me directly/tagged me, and I've responded to as many as possible, but I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting this kind of reaction! I've literally been spending hours glued to my phone trying to respond to as many as possible - so if I haven't responded to you, I'm really sorry! 

People love the movie!

People are loving the movie, which means so much to me. They love the cast, the way it's been adapted from the book, or they want to read the book if they haven't already. Something that's really come through is that people are loving how it's not just a love story, but it's also about how strong Lee and Elle's friendship is, and how important it is that Elle finds confidence in herself too - which I'm so glad to hear about, because I always wrote it as more than just a love story between Elle and Noah. 

I mean, like, literally everyone

Even people saying it's cliché and predictable or not their thing are following it up with 'but I love it!' or 'but it's so great!'

I'm just happy people are enjoying the movie! There's nothing wrong with a fun, if cliché, movie. I mean - if Angus, Thongs or 10 Things I Hate About You or She's The Man comes on TV, you bet your ass I'm watching it. I live for those movies. They're so much fun to watch, and there's no shame in that! 

As far as it goes as an adaptation...

I'm also incredibly relieved that my readers think it's a good adaptation from the book, because as a reader myself I know it can be a risky business, and things like that can get a mixed reception. (I'm looking at you, Dumbledore, yelling not-so-calmly at Harry to ask if he put his name in the Goblet of Fire.)

But everyone's been so supportive! My readers think the cast are perfect and have great chemistry, bring the book to life so well - and nobody has messaged me so far to say they don't think it's true to the book.

Sharing the success

I've had so many messages saying how excited people are for me, but it's not just that. Of course it's a huge deal for me to have my book made into a movie, see my story and characters come to life, and have this recognition. 

But it's also a huge success for Wattpad, the way I see it, and other writers in that community, proving that we're a force to be reckoned with. It's a huge success for Komixx, the production company, who are also working with the amazing Kelly Anne Blount from Wattpad to adapt her work. It's so wonderful to be able to share this with them!

Plus, of course, the actors have been getting huge responses online. It's beautiful to see!

I have... fan accounts?

One of the other really amazing fan responses to this whole thing is that there are now fan accounts! There are some on Twitter and Instagram, and that's totally baffling to me. I mean... fan accounts! This is crazy! This is waaaay cooler than I expected!

I have a troll

(I mean, maybe more than one?) But I did get one quite aggressively mean message on Instagram, which I was tempted to send a thumbs up in response to, but I just declined the message and did not feed the troll. I did share it with a couple of friends and my family, though, because it was such a mean and petty message I just found it funny. (They called me a 'garbage person'. My mum thought that was hilarious.)

But honestly - you really think I'm going to let one odd comment like that get me down, when there are hundreds and hundreds saying how brilliant the movie is and how much people are enjoying it? Jog on, mate. I've got better things to spend my time on than worrying about petty messages like that.

And - fangirls?!

You have no idea how much I'm loving seeing people freak out because I liked their Tweet, or just replied to their message/comment! It's so weird! I've had messages before that people are inspired by me, which is beautiful to see, but this makes me feel so much cooler than I actually am. My friends know I'm a clumsy idiot sometimes, and a big nerd; I make sarcastic comments all the time and I'm full of deprecating humour. I am not a cool person. But seeing the 'fangirl' reaction is awesome to see! 

And, shockingly, the most asked question I'm getting:

"Will there be a sequel?"

I should've seen that coming. I really, really should've anticipated that huge volumes of the comments I'm getting include requests for a continuation to The Kissing Booth.


Lastly - a thank you

To tie up this post, I wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone who's been so supportive of The Kissing Booth - whether you started out following it on Wattpad, read the book at some point, or have just heard about it and watched the movie on Netflix. The support is phenomenal and I'm so grateful! It means the world to me.

If you've seen the movie, I'd love to know what you thought of it, especially if you've read the book as well! You can send your thoughts to me at @Reekles on Twitter, or just drop a comment below.


And if you haven't seen the movie yet - what're you waiting for?! Head over to Netflix and watch it now! And if you don't have Netflix, you can sign up for a free thirty-day trial or watch with a friend who has an account. (And I hope you enjoy the movie!)

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.